"We gather in faith..."
Teaching and commentary from our pastor, Bishop Francis J. Christian
ReflectionsOctober is traditionally respect life month. But what
does it mean to pro-life. Listen to Peter Kreeft who
says . . .
It means what Moses said, to "just say yes' to life,
to "choose life."
"Life" means much more than just biological
survival. It means all the levels of human life, from
the biological to the psychological to the
interpersonal to the religious.
Therefore to be "pro-life" means:
1. loving and caring for your bodily health and the
health of the planet that nourishes it.
2. loving and caring for play, that up-rush of life that
we share with the higher animals but not with the
lower (that's why we play with dogs, not with
3. loving and caring for other human biological
lives, not killing them by abortion, euthanasia,
suicide, or starting wars.
4. loving and caring for other human psychological
and spiritual lives as you care for your own,
others as you love yourself
5. loving the moral law that tells you how to do that
6. knowing and loving nature and the nature of
everything: man, woman, animals, God, and even
sister death; not acting against their natures but
"painting with the grain"
7. loving the source and inventor of all life wherever
He comes to you: in nature, in conscience, in the
Bible, in the Mass, in children, everywhere, even
You see? Being pro-life is bigger than #3 alone.